Re: [GreenYes] Fw: QUERY: What to do with used tires? [Q from Brazil]
On 26 Feb 2002 at 12:48, Bill Sheehan wrote:

> As you know, tires that sit around accumulate water...which is a
> breeding ground for mosquitoes...which can transmit deadly diseases.
> So we need some urgent information on short-term solutions for used
> tires. Please respond directly to Marcelo, and cc the list.

What worked very well in my home province of KwaZulu Natal (South Africa) was the
following:

1) drill holes in the sides of the tires, some for drainage, and some smaller
2)use the smaller holes to anchor the tires to a bank, for example, and to each other
with wire
3) the soil that would usually get washed away on the slope of the bank will get
caught in the tires, and are perfect for planting
4) they also help water be retained in the soil (as opposed to the surface or in air, so
no breeding can take place)

so they make good stabilisers for slopes...

also: they can be shredded (if the technology is available) and mixed with asphalt for
roads or softer play spaces for kids...

hope some of the above helps - good luck!!!

kind regards
Muna