Re: [GRRN] Urgent need for details of Waste Management program
To:
        mlroux@new.co.za

Hello there!

what a global village! I got your request for assistance from a list
from the US, and yet here we are in Gauteng fighting similar battles!
but at least the contact is made...

(for non-South African Greenyessers, Gauteng is the province where
Johannesburg is situated!)

i am a volunteer activist for earthlife africa jhb branch, and head up
the toxics group - we are currently fighting about 10 incinerators,
roughly half toxic and or medical, including one radioactive!

we have met with the provincial legislature, and will be presenting to
them on incineration on the 5th - we shall be calling for a moratorium
on new incinerators, a rationalising of those left, and a phasing out,
going into alternative methodologies of waste management, like shredding
and autoclaving, etc...

i have also just discovered recently that the relevant health act asks
for segregation of waste at source, and the disposal only of that waste
which cannot be autoclaved at source, whihc would seem to cover most of
our issues!

attached, please find our generic incineration document - it may be that
you are far more knowledgeable, in which case, please share, so we may
improve our document..

we have also been talking of a national moratorium, so do keep in touch!

good luck with the good fight!

Kind Regards

Muna Lakhani