The below message is forwarded from a colleague working on lindane issues.
Forward as appropriate and apologies for any duplications/multiple listserv
The least toxic alternative for lice treatment is to comb hair
thoroughly with a GOOD METAL comb. This removes lice and their eggs,
thus eliminating the need to apply pesticide directly to the head. The
non-profit National Pediculosis Association makes an excellent metal
comb. Visit their web site at www.headlice.org or call them at
781-449-6487 to order.
If you feel you must use a pesticide, any of the treatments you purchase
over-the-counter at a pharmacy are less toxic than lindane. Remember,
however, that they are pesticides and must be used with extreme care.
A prescription pesticide must be used to treat scabies. Any of the
non-lindane prescription pesticides are less toxic than lindane.
Remember in using any of them that you are spreading pesticide all over
the human body. Use them *exactly* as directed.
-- Stephanie C. Davis - BFA, MPA Experienced Professional of Healthcare & Non-Residential Waste Programs
Waste Reduction Remedies sm A Multi-Waste Stream, Multi-Material Waste Management Company
1497 Hopkins Street #2D Berkeley CA 94702-1201 Telephone & Fax: 510/527-8864 Pacific Time E-mail: ScD18@WasteReductionRemedies.com
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Wed Sep 20 2000 - 13:04:50 EDT