From: GreenYes@no.address [mailto:GreenYes@no.address] On Behalf Of Thomas Shelley
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 7:31 PM
To: greenyes@no.address
Subject: [GreenYes] Re: plastic magazines

Dear Amy and Colleagues--The PP "paper" substitute wouldn't be recycled in our county either (Tompkins Co., Upstate NY).   All our solid waste folks are taking now that is PP are yoghurt, butter and similar tubs (no lids).   There are many manufacturers who claim that their product is recyclable, but there are seemingly very few recyclers able to handle most of these products.  In an ideal world, yes, maybe, but not with today's economy in a rural county in Upstate NY.

The idea of recyclable paper substitutes is not new.  McDonough and Braungart are were big proponents of this concept in their 2002 book, Cradle to Cradle.  The problem is that PP is made of oil and uses substantial fossil fuel inputs in its manufacture.  Making virgin paper is an equal disaster environmentally, but I suppose recycled paper is the best way to go.  It seems to me that lots of paper still gets landfilled that could be books and what ever in a world with little or no waste and many more standing trees.  Tom

On 12-2-08 Amy Perlmutter wrote:

I'm not sure how many programs in the country have PP recycling.  Also, does anyone know if this is like HDPE, where the specific gravity is different based on the molding process (ie, blow vs. injection molded)?  If so, that could make it incompatible with other PP, like yoghurt cups, unless perhaps it was going as mixed plastic for plastic lumber.

--

Tom Shelley
118 E. Court St.

Compost Educator and General Substantiality Scion