[GreenYes] biosolids for agriculture

We are working on expanding our sewage sludge / green material  composting pilot - you will be pleased to hear that the results of the  tests showed that grade B2 sludge has been "improved" to the final  product classification being A1A, suitable for immediate agricultural   release!

This is a great discussion on bio solids to agriculture  in other countries.
Rick

Hi Gerry and Neil, Yuyun, Gigie, and David

Thanx, appreciate the feedback...

Couple of points :

1) organic farmers are keen to use the material, but I was wondering what
obstacles they will face regarding certification of their farms as organic
2) of course, the heavy metals, etc is a concern - at this stage, we are
using old sludge that is coming out of a sewage works that does not serve
industry, so the contamination looks nice and low - we will of course find
the toxics when we do a trial with sewage that comes from heavily
industrialized inputs..
3) part of my plan (when we see these contaminants) is to use this as a
lever to get local government to get industry to clean up their act, as they
are contaminating what would be a useful resource for local food production,
so there is some method in my madness...
4) and yes, there has been discussion on the "peak phosphorous" issue here
too - one of the reasons to divert urine to agriculture too yes?
5) and where the toxic load is problematic, I was wondering if the work I
did years ago on bio-remediation (of course, removal at source will be what
we push for) may not apply here? i.e. the use of reeds, etc to take up the
heavy metals etc, and then get the relevant industry to take it back as
hazardous waste...

The various A1A, B2 etc are local classifications used by our governmenr
depts. To classify sewage - I shareall your concerns, but in a food deproved
world, where do we draw the line?

And is the case in many countries, the rich have wasteful flush toilets, and
the poor are being "given" urine diversion and pit toilets... and there are
cultural barriers to the urine diversion option, besides the fact that it is
a less dignified solution... my personal favourite? Decentralized
biodigestion of super low flush grey water fed toilets!!

Thoughts?

Kind regards and hugs

Muna