[GreenYes] Re: resources saved calculator for single-stream recycling

Title: Re: [GreenYes] resources saved calculator for single-stream recycling
While the residue question alone challenges the efficacy of a "universal tool" in exploring the environmental benefits of recycling, one must also consider the individual market circumstances of the facility looking to promote their services in this way. A MRF 100 miles from a paper mill, for instance, is saddled with a much lower environmental cost per ton of paper recycled than a plant shipping their paper across the pacific. So the same ton of paper shipped will have dramatically different environmental benefits. Relying on a "one size fits all" tool avoids this issue altogether and supports operators who market materials based on price alone. Too few operators retain the ability to focus on markets which provide the best environmental benefit, not just the best price. Seems to me the whole point of recycling is to conserve resources and to limit wasting? I am reminded of a ewaste processor who claims that shipping material to a smelter in Europe is more environmentally secure than shipping to a domestic smelter whose emissions are marginally worse. What of the environmental cost of transporting across the additional 3000 miles?
More to the point, does the marketing of environmental benefits of recycling do anything more than continue to excuse the wasting of resources?

If recycling one plastic bottle saves three trees, then its okay for me to drink bottled water...just think of how many trees I'll save when I recycle them!

Justin Stockdale

Pat Franklin wrote:

With regard to “resources saved” one would hope that these savings are based on tonnage actually recycled NOT on tonnage collected.  There’s a big difference.   It would seem that single stream advocates focus on how much is “collected” and not how much is recycled.

Pat Franklin

703.304.3546