[GreenYes] Re: Markets and Idealism vs. False Recycling

Title: Re: [GreenYes] Markets and Idealism vs. False Recycling
Sounds like you need to regulate these MRFs. Here in PA if a facility is taking in mixed trash and claiming they are sorting it for recycling, that’s a special “mixed waste processing facility” regulated as a type of MSW transfer station. We had two companies try that here in the 1990s and they failed miserably and couldn’t deal with all the OSHA, DEP, and EPA regs.

We had another one a few years later that claimed to have some special paper recovery mechanism that let them fall under the guise of a MRF and escape MSW regulations. They piled up 20,000 bales of trash and skipped town in the middle of the night, leaving the city with a major cleanup nightmare.

If you don’t regulate these guys, you will pay the price.

--
David Biddle, Executive Director
<http://www.gpcrc.com>

215-247-3090 (desk)