[GreenYes] Re: 1872 mining act

Title: [GreenYes] Re: 1872 mining act

(response from Stephen D'Esposito)

Marjorie,

There is a very focused/active campaign underway.  EARTHWORKS,
National
Environmental Trust, Environmental Working Group, Pew Environment
Group,
Trout Unlimited, NWF and others are leading.  Vast majority of major
enviro
groups have endorsed. We have the juice that we need on the enviro
side.
What we need now, in what we hope is the final 6 to 9 month push is
the
other constituencies.  Go to our website and you will see the work we
are
doing with jewelers, artisans, jewelry designers, metalsmiths, etc.
What
would be great, as well, is active participation from others like
recyclers.

Of note, we had a big win when we beat back an effort a few years ago--
Pombo (R-CA) initiated effort to sell off vast swats of public lands.
We
actually got 4 of the major mining companies on-side.  We literally
split
the mining industry.  Academics played a critical role in this.  This
is
another constituency that could be important.  At a critical juncture,
we
organized a letter from leading academics.  It severely undercut a
number of
false claims being made by Pombo and others.  Let me know if this is
something you might want to participate in????  By the way, what do
you
teach?

Best,
Steve

=== EARTHWORKS: Protecting Communities and the Environment

Stephen D'Esposito
President and Executive Director
EARTHWORKS
1612 K St., NW, Suite 808