[GreenYes] Re: WORD SMITHS -- The Public Wants to Know...

Title: [GreenYes] Re: WORD SMITHS -- The Public Wants to Know...

Hello, Russell:

I just read a posting from Malaysia saying the government there has
banned imported scrap plastics for five years, starting now.  The
reason:  they don't want to be a destination for badly sorted plastic
loads from other countries, like us.  This follows another posting
last week from China saying they are adding a tariff to certain
imported recyclables because of gross contamination.

Waste company's single-stream collection and dirty mrf technologies
seem to be bumping up against the limits of tolerance even among
countries with lots of low-paid labor.  I conclude from this that
rigorous source separation is the only sustainable way to move
reclaimed materials to markets.

Here in the US recyclers can sell clean color-sorted glass to eager
markets, but not glass contaminated with ceramic bits.  Paper markets
have revolted against "glitter pack," paper contaminated with broken
glass caused by rough handling and inadequate quality control.

Recycling is a competitive disposal service.  Judicious disposal
service pricing is the key to unlocking the resources from our
discard supply, far superior to after-contamination separation
machinery.

Dan Knapp
Urban Ore, Inc.
A reuse and recycling company since 1980