[GreenYes] Re: PLASTICS RECYCLING IN THE CARIBBEAN

Hi Mike

Have you heard of "Pet Brick"?  Physics professor Newton Lima's ecological brick requires no baling machine as he used the bottle whole. First he sealed the bottle with air before inserting it into the centre of a much larger rectangular wooden mold. The mold is then filled with quartz sand and cement and once hardened, the "PET brick" is removed and ready for use.

The benefit of building homes with his "PET bricks" in hotter climate is that they will keep homes cooler as the air pumped into the bottles is effective as insulator.  He hope to use his ecological bricks as a solution to providing low-cost housing for low-income families in his country in Brazil.

You can view pictures of his invention at this link:

http://www.iom3.org/claytechnology/apr07/news.htm
http://www.temasactuales.com/temasblog/?p=90

Rgds
Nancy