[GreenYes] MS Word Template / 1.25 margins - waste of paper

Title: [GreenYes] MS Word Template / 1.25 margins - waste of paper

Hi GRRN and Loma Prieta Zero Waste Committee

This will sound like a rant.  And it is.  But the question is, is it just
my version of Microsoft Word or do all version set the margins in MS Word
to 1.25 on the left and right.  What this means is that a document that
could print out on fewer pages takes more due to the wide margins.

I know we shouldn't print but all of us working in local government or
for the Sierra Club know that many documents are printed out with these
wide margins.  Since I receive many of the questionnaires from candidates
running for office, I always have to adjust the margins so on candidate
interview nights, less paper is needed to print a copy.  (and in this
case, I really do need the paper copy so I can track what candidates say
and what they wrote in the written portion of our process.)

Has anyone started a program or have a waste reduction fact sheet on how
to create documents that if printed take less paper?  A campaign or
letter to Microsoft to change the default settings so paper can be
reduced?

Ann Schneider
Chair, National Zero Waste Committee
Co-Chair, Loma Prieta Political Committee
Ann.Schneider@no.address