[GreenYes] Target destroys and throws out perfectly good furniture

I was appalled to find today at the local Target store in the
Kingsbridge section of the Bronx, that when I wanted to buy the floor
model (the last one in the store) of two different pieces of
furniture - nice solid wood, glass, dovetail joints, reasonable
price, that the store manager was adamant that Target has a policy 1)
not to sell such furniture, 2) to destroy this furniture before
disposing of it. Something to do with liability?? Can we start a
campaign to get them to change this? The manager said something
illogical like, what would happen if the customer brought the piece back?
We have Materials for the Arts, Furnish a Future, and numerous thrift
stores that would probably love to have all this furniture. Who
knows what, besides furniture, that this crazy policy applies
to. Multiply this by all the Target stores in the country and you
see how much is being wasted.

Maggie Clarke, Ph.D.
mclarke@no.address
Environmental Scientist and Educator