[GreenYes] Re: Rural Cooperative Marketing

Christine,
One issue that would need to be addressed is making sure that the
residents are educated about where the recycling is going to. Nowadays
with the increased risk/paranoia of identity theft, residents may feel
that recycling anything that contains addresses, phone numbers etc. by
prison inmates may not be safe. Rural residents may be more inclined
to burn, rather than recycle, anything personal and this may inhibit
there recycling of other materials.
Holding public forums and meetings to answer questions/concerns should
take place so people don't get "suprised" to find out where there
recycling has been going and may be really turned off by recycling.
Let them know of the security measures that are in place and maybe have
web-cams of the operations so people can see how material is sorted.
Hope this helps,
Andrew Bennett,
Mc Henry County Defenders
Christine.McCoy@no.address wrote:
Folks -

I'm trying to pull together a grant proposal to USDA from the Virginia
Recycling Association, the Virginia General Services Division, and the
Virginia Department of Corrections to work together to develop recycling
cooperative markets through a hub-spoke type of system. The idea is to
potentially use the prisons in rural areas to act as a collection point
for recyclables from nearby rural localities. The Dept of Corrections has
been tasked to recycle more and they think that this would be a great
project for them and benefit surrounding communities.

Are you aware if any other state has tried such an approach or anything
like it? Also, if you can think of any potential pit-falls or concerns in
perhaps eventually setting up mini-MRFs at prisons let me know. I know the
use of prison labor is a social justice issue and will think that through
as well, so I don't really need comments to that affect. However, any
other information that you think might be helpful would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Christine McCoy
City of Alexandria
703/519-3486 ext. 132

--=_alternative 006D6A888525724A_=

proposal to USDA from the Virginia Recycling Association, the Virginia
General Services Division, and the Virginia Department of Corrections to
work together to develop recycling cooperative markets through a hub-spoke
type of system. The idea is to potentially use the prisons in rural areas
to act as a collection point for recyclables from nearby rural localities.
The Dept of Corrections has been tasked to recycle more and they think
that this would be a great project for them and benefit surrounding communities.</font>
tried such an approach or anything like it? Also, if you can think of any
potential pit-falls or concerns in perhaps eventually setting up mini-MRFs
at prisons let me know. I know the use of prison labor is a social justice
issue and will think that through as well, so I don't really need comments
to that affect. However, any other information that you think might be
helpful would be GREATLY appreciated.</font>
City of Alexandria<br>
703/519-3486 ext. 132 <br>
--=_alternative 006D6A888525724A_=--