[GreenYes] Re: Commissioners clear the path for FLA commercial biomass plant

At 05:13 PM 9/11/2006 -0400, LWheeler45@no.address wrote:

>Commissioners clear the path for innovative commercial biomass plant
>
>The five-member Florida Public Service
>Commission (PSC) has taken a critical step to
>further development of the worldâ??s first
>commercial-scale power plant fueled with crops grown on site.
>
>The Commissioners voted to approve a petition
>for Progress Energy Florida (Progress) to buy
>energy produced by the Florida Biomass Energy Group, LLC (Florida Biomass).
>
>Florida Biomass plans to build and operate an
>electric generating plant on a 15,000-acre farm
>near Lake Okeechobee. The plant will produce
>power from a tall, bamboo-like grass. The crop
>will be grown and harvested in a continuous
>cycle and converted into a liquid fuel that will
>be used in a traditional combined cycle generator.

Mayhap. But I've been looking at numbers for
corn/ethanol, and the fuel value of the ethanol
is only about 1/2 that of the corn from which its
made. It would seem that a power plant would be
much better off just burning the corn (as some do).

Something fundamentally different could be on
offer here, but I remain to be convinced.....

am

Alan Muller, Executive Director
Green Delaware
Box 69