GreenYes Archives

[GreenYes Archives] - [Thread Index] - [Date Index]
[Date Prev] - [Date Next] - [Thread Prev] - [Thread Next]

[GreenYes] EPA Sludge Radioactivity t o Dr Ron Ney formerly of EPA Pestisides Haz waste

----- Original Message -----
From: "ronald" <_randsney@no.address (mailto:randsney@no.address) >
To: <_Rosnick.Reid@no.address (mailto:Rosnick.Reid@no.address) >
Cc: "leonard wheeler" <_LWheeler45@no.address (mailto:LWheeler45@no.address) >
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: radioactivity in sewage sludge
> Mr. Rosnick,
> Thank you for your time and fast response. You have answered my questions
> and now I know that no one is checking for the additive radionuclides in >
plants and animals that we may eat.
> Dr. Ney
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <_Rosnick.Reid@no.address (mailto:Rosnick.Reid@no.address)
> To: "ronald" <_randsney@no.address (mailto:randsney@no.address) >
> Cc: <_Schultheisz.Daniel@no.address
(mailto:Schultheisz.Daniel@no.address) >
> Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:37 AM
> Subject: Re: radioactivity in sewage sludge
>> Mr. Ney,
>> I shall attempt to be more specific and address your questions, but>>
please bear with me as I try to move through several programs>> established for
monitoring uptake of radionuclides in plants and/or>> animals.
>> In the case of phosphogypsum, the standard for application to
>> agricultural lands was determined after analyzing the radiological risk>>
using dose assessment models, and then performing both short and>> long-term
sampling and uptake analysis of various plants and soils>> associated with
its use. In remedial actions of facilities contaminated>> with radionuclides,
the same process is used to determine safe levels in>> the environment.
There have also been sampling and analysis of uptake>> during the Three Mile
Island accident, and also for the purpose of>> measuring fallout from
above-ground nuclear tests. Testing also takes>> place around existing nuclear power
plants. As you are aware, there are>> surveys to measure the amount of
radioactivity in sewage sludge, and>> water treatment plant sludge. Federal
standards are in place that limit>> the cumulative annual dose a person may
receive. Also, Bob Bastian>> provided information on the environmental monitoring
labs that support
>> both EPA's Radiation Program (their lab is located in Montgomery, AL)>>
and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (at least one of their labs is a>>
contract lab at Oak Ridge Nat'l. Labs) which are routinely running soil,>> crop,
and food samples to evaluate radioisotope levels. You should also>> consider
contacting the US Department of Agriculture, and your state
>> radiation agency to see what programs they have regarding monitoring of>>
uptake of radionuclides in the environment. To reiterate, however, I am>>
not aware of any agency that performs real-time monitoring of uptake of>>
radionuclides to crops and humans.
>> I hope this provides more information on your questions.
>> Reid J. Rosnick
>> Radiation Protection Division (6608J)
>> U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
>> 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
>> Washington, DC 20460
>> 202.343.9563
>> _rosnick.reid@no.address (mailto:rosnick.reid@no.address)

Leonard E. Wheeler, Jr.,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GreenYes" group.
To post to this group, send email to GreenYes@no.address
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to GreenYes-unsubscribe@no.address
For more options, visit this group at

[GreenYes Archives] - [Date Index] - [Thread Index]
[Date Prev] - [Date Next] - [Thread Prev] - [Thread Next]