[GreenYes] Some new research

A substantial body of research describes why consumers and businesses particpate in materials recovery efforts. Less seems to be known about why folks do not take part.

We have underway a research project that might help answer this question in a small way in terms of electronics recycling. In cooperation with Greenstone (Denver), we're looking at communities that do not offer e-scrap collection service and asking those municipal officials a few off-the-record questions. Is it the cost of a potential program that is the principal barrier? Are you waiting on state of federal action? Is there little interest in e-scrap recovery in your community? The answers to these questions will help environmental groups, government leaders and industry executives develop new and more sustainable e-scrap recovery systems.

The results of the interviews will be summarized in an article to appear in Resource Recycling and E-Scrap News, our two magazines. For those not receiving either periodical and wanting to learn the results, just send me an email.

If you'd like take part by answering a few quick questions (the interview takes less than five minutes), please respond directly to me. Or if you have someone you'd like us to contact, please send details. As always, thanks!

Jerry Powell, Editor
Resource Recycling
E-Scrap News
PO Box 42270