[GreenYes] Re: waste-free cafes

Amy,

We have an amazing Zero Waste Coffeeshop here in Boulder who recently won our big community ZW award (see press article below). You can find them at FolsomStreetCoffee.com. Chris and Rick Warner are great people, so give em a call.

Eric

"Boulder & Broomfield County Businesses Honored at Eco-Cycle?s 2nd Annual Zero Waste Business Awards"

Why did 80 local businesses recently pack a banquet room at the Spice of Life Event Center? To recognize each other?s efforts in working toward Zero Waste at Eco-Cycle?s 2nd Annual Zero Waste Business Awards luncheon. Eco-Cycle?s Executive Director Eric Lombardi detailed promising developments in the Zero Waste arena both locally and worldwide, and Zero Waste Services Coordinator Robin Burton unveiled Eco-Cycle?s Zero Waste Community Partner window signs for businesses and their corresponding ?stripes.? These new window signs help patrons identify local businesses that are working toward Zero Waste, and the stripes ??We Recycle,? ?We Compost,? ?We Recycle Hard-to-Recycle Materials,? and ?We Use Zero Waste Purchasing Practices??are awarded depending on each business?s level of commitment.

Awards were presented in six categories: Outstanding Recycling Program (small, medium and large businesses), Going Beyond Recycling with CHaRM on the Road, Going Beyond Recycling with Composting, and Going for Zero Waste? or darn near! In addition, CompUSA in Boulder was recognized for its participation in Eco-Cycle?s Partners for Responsible Recycling program (see sidebar for a full list of nominees and winners in each category).

Boulder?s Folsom St. Coffee Co. was the big winner in the ?Going for Zero Waste? or darn near!? category, having committed to Zero Waste practices from the first day the business opened its doors in August 2005. Café owners Chris and Rick Warner set up multiple stations for composting and recycling for customers and employees, and purchased cornstarch and other plant-based serviceware for the café rather than disposable plastic products. All of the café?s utensils and cold and hot drink cups are specially designed to be fully compostable. The Warners also worked quickly to become certified through the local Partners for a Clean Environment (PACE) pollution prevention program by focusing on water and energy conservation measures, using less toxic cleaning products and ensuring that food waste is composted rather than dumped down the drain. ?We simply do it because it?s the right thing to do,? Chris Warner said. ?Fortunately for us, customers and staff have taken a real interest in it.?

CompUSA (Boulder) was awarded for joining electronics retailer ListenUp and the Daily Camera as an Eco-Cycle Partner for Responsible Recycling. (See page 4 for more details about Eco-Cycle?s partnership with CompUSA.)

?It feels exciting to be a part of the community doing something good,? said Nick McCormick, Technical Sales Manager for CompUSA. ?This event has also opened my eyes to what other people are doing.

? Award-winning businesses received certificates displayed in recycled bike tire frames as well as potted pansies planted with compost from A1 Organics, the composting facility where Eco-Cycle hauls all of its organic material from businesses. The certificates displayed a graphic of the Zero Waste business window cling and each ?stripe? the business has earned so far on the road to Zero Waste.

Thanks to our event sponsors: The Boulder County Business Report, Weyerhaeuser, Jared Polis Foundation, A1 Organics, Community Shares of Colorado, A Spice of Life Event Centers & Catering Services and McGuckin Hardware.

Eric Lombardi
Executive Director
Eco-Cycle
Boulder, CO