[GreenYes] Re: NYC Recycling?

Samantha and Karyn-

We see the same sort of thing here in Philly and I receive numerous
complaints about haulers ³dumping² recyclables and/or seeming to pick them
up in the same truck as trash. Obviously, there is little control over the
private sector and their practices without stringent enforcement policies in
place.

In Philadelphia (and Pennsylvania as a whole) transfer facilities that seek
to separate recyclables from waste must have a permit to process ³mixed
waste.² This was tried by the industry for a few years (there were three
facilities so permitted in the Philadelphia area in the mid-90s), but it was
found to be wholly impractical and not economic. Currently, we have no such
facilities?and yet I still hear often about haulers mixing waste and
recycling in front- and rear-loading trucks. Go figure...

The key to solving this problem is writing good contracts requiring haulers
to provide separate collection systems and documentation on how much
material is recycled and where it goes?or, better, contracting with one
hauler for recycling and one for trash. We have a document on our web site
that provides guidelines on how to think about and write contracts with
waste and recycling service vendors . It may be found at:
http://www.greentreks.org/gpcrc/regulatory_toolsand.asp#sampledocs

In the end, as far as I can tell, so far, facility managers and business
owners are not dictating the terms of service well enough. As such, they
suffer the consequences. We now offer a service to help re-write contracts
through new RFP processes for businesses and institutions and also provide
monthly support in managing programs and interfacing with service providers.

The lesson in all of this is that if businesses want ³out of sight out of
mind,² then they run the risk of putting the fox in control of the henhouse.
Forcing the industry to be accountable is the only way to solve this
problem.

David Biddle, Executive Director
<http://blueolives.blogspot.com>

P.O. Box 4037
Philadelphia, PA 19118
215-247-3090
215-432-8225 (mobile)
Dbiddle@no.address

<WWW.GPCRC.COM>

Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
businesses in communities across North America!
Go to: <http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>

on 5/2/06 11:21 AM, Samantha MacBride at smacbride.nycrecycles@no.address