[GreenYes] Re: Green Concrete?

i agree that permeable pavement is a good thing, but I just can't let
over-the-top green-washing pass.

The manufacture of Portland Cement is the second (to the production
of steel) largest industrial generator of greenhouse gases in the
world. If you include the limestone industry that services the
cement industry, it is the largest. The industry has historically
been opposed to any recognition or regulation of its CO2 emissions.
It also lobbied mightily to increase the budget of the recent federal
roads boondoggle, and to keep public transportation out of the bill.

The one factual question i have to the excerpt below is: so where do
the heavy metals go after they filter into the concrete? They just
kind of disappear without leaching into the soil? And the
hydrocarbons? The concrete naturally spawns hydrocarbon-eating
microbes? If the microbes are in the concrete, are they not in the
soil? Then why don't we just dump waste oil on the ground and let
the wonderful microbes eat it? I think some people near the pipeline
in Alaska might question that. Hell, I think people with wells
living near the local gas station might question that.

Concrete is an integral part of our daily lives, and a necessary
material. I simply hate seeing an industry without good
environmental credentials thump its chest about a particular product
and ignore the rest.

Bob Kirby