[GreenYes] Re: Eco-Cycle support for bioplastics

Bioplastics are just the beginning.

I don't think anyone posted this - From my presentation & research on
Future of Trash:
there were tests of composting of PLA plastic products in real compost
piles done at the U of Mich last year:

* PLA trays and bottles tested in compost @ 140ºF ± 10ºF for 30 days
* achieved complete reduction of materials.

Of equal if not greater concern:

* Biobased/green nanocomposites
* Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) - a bacterial bioplastic

Regulatory mechanisms are weak if nonexistent on the development of new
materials (think nanomaterials, extended use of RFID & RFID inks, GMOs,
bioplastics, and endless composite materials) and their impact on the
environment. I would reallly like to see the waste/recycle community
take a stand and call for several things at nat'l if not state policy level:

* Requirement for full end-of-life testing of products containing
'new materials' before entering marketplace
* Requirement for 'sustainabiltiy plans' for new materials in R&D phase
* Testing of impact of products in all waste environments - recycle,
composting facilities; landfills; WTE; even household trash.

End of rant!

Anne Peters
Gracestone, Inc.
303.494.4934 vox