[GreenYes] Buenos Aires, a Zero Waste city!!!!

In a message dated 11/28/2005 10:24:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pbrufman@no.address writes:
Dear All,

after a lot of really hard work, we finally got the approval from
Parlament of the City of Buenos Aires to implement a Zero Waste
policy. Up to now, Buenos Aires produces in between 4 to 5
thousands tons of waste daily, all of which goes to landfills situated in the
suburban areas.

Thanks to this new legislation, Buenos Aires will:
- adopt a mandatory callendar to reduce the use of landfills
- decrease waste by implementing recycling policies
- ban the use of incinerators
- give employment to informal workers that right now dig trash bags
on streets looking for recyclable materials, under really sad sanitary
conditions

This is a big step for us and we can't hide our happiness for this
achievement.- In this way, Buenos Aires has become the most
populated city to implement a Zero Waste policy, the first Latin American city
to have such a legislation.

Last but not least, we couldn't have achieved this without the support from
other
NGOs, specially GAIA.... so THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Hope you can share our happiness with us.

Take care,

Paula

Lic. Paula Brufman
Campaña de Tóxicos