[greenyes] 14 years later...

(from Waste News)

By Pete Fehrenbach

The Des Moines Register reported yesterday that starting in January, Iowa
landfills will have to comply with a federal law requiring that disposal
sites

be lined with clay or plastic to keep leachate from leaking

-- or should that be leakage from leaching? -- into local

waterways.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051017/NEWS05/5101
70338/1001/NEWS

The law referred to but not identified in the story is

Subtitle D of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.

According to the article, Iowa is the last state in the

Midwest to enforce the rule. Which makes me wonder: Am I the

only one who's surprised that Subtitle D -- enacted all the

way back during the reign of George Bush I -- isn't the law

of the land everywhere?

Eric Lombardi

Executive Director

Eco-Cycle Inc

303-444-6634

www.ecocycle.org

"Anything that changes your values, changes your behavior"
George Sheehan.