[greenyes] "Say NO to Plastic Bags!" Campaign for ARD, Nov. 15

Dear Friends,

The Monterey County "3R" Committee has decided to begin a countywide
"Say NO to Plastic Bags!" publicity campaign to be kicked off on America
Recycles Day (Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2005). We have identified plastic bags
as a major environmental issue in our area and will focus on this during
the coming months. Plastic bags pollute the environment, litter the
landscape, and present operational problems in our recycling plants.
When Santa Cruz County staff told us yesterday that they want to join
our campaign, we thought why not make this a greater effort with more
communities participating? The time frame would still work if you decide
to be part of this campaign. We feel that while there are many good
efforts under way in this State and elsewhere to recycle plastic bags,
we have to stress that "Reduce and Reuse" come first-then we can recycle
the rest! Having more of you join us will increase the impact of the
campaign, perhaps on a national level.

Following are the major components of our publicity campaign strategy:

* Order recycled cotton or poly bags with imprint ("Say NO to
Plastic Bags;" sponsoring agencies; and graphic of bag with slash, see
attached gif graphic). We may order blank bags from a national firm and
have them printed locally if we can do it at a lower cost. You may
already have some bags available in your program. We could also combine
our orders to get lower prices. We are about ready to place our order so
let us know if you want to participate! If you have a really good source
for low-priced recycled bags, let us know.

* Schedule appearance at local super markets, must get management
permission. We will be at several markets that day and give out about
100 bags at each location; we plan to follow up at more markets the week
after Nov. 15

* Prepare info board (20"x30") with plastic bag facts-we can
provide language to you. Also, prepare information where plastic bags
and film can be recycled locally.

* Send out media announcements the week before and again a day or
two before the event. Send cotton bags to media with facts inside. We
can provide a sample press release to you.

* Give bags and facts to local officials during the week of Nov.
15, at City Council and Board meetings.

* Schedule people at each market on ARD and week after.

We hope that this may be a worthwhile activity for your ARD celebration!
Looking forward to hearing from you,

in the spirit of "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle"!

Heidi Feldman

Public Education Coordinator

Monterey Regional Waste Management District

P.O. Box 1670, Marina, CA 93933

Tel.: 831/384-5313 FAX: 831/384-3567