To: "'Heidi Feldman'" <hfeldman@no.address>, <crra_members@no.address>,
<greenyes@no.address>, <zerowaste_sd@no.address>
From: "Samantha MacBride" <smacbride.nycrecycles@no.address>
Subject: RE: [greenyes] "Say NO to Plastic Bags!" Campaign for ARD, Nov. 15

On this subject, I wonder if any research has been done:

* On the environmental impacts of producing, distributing, and ultimately disposing of recycled cotton or poly bags that say "NO" to plastic bags

* On the usage rates of such bags and whether they substitute for, and thereby decrease the usage of, plastic bags; or whether they constitute a second, new category of consumer products coexisting with what they were supposed to supplant.

Of course the argument can be made that recycled durable bags are great educational tools in conjunction with plastic bag recycling programs; but, given that various forms of such bags have been distributed for years, do we actually know whether they have the impacts they are assumed to have?

Pointers to research in this area would be of great interest.

Thank you.

Samantha MacBride
Senior Policy Analyst
Bureau of Waste Prevention, Reuse and Recycling
New York City Department of Sanitation
_____