[greenyes] NYC Commercial Recycling question

Hello-
I'm a new subscriber even though I've been reading through the GRRN archives on an off for a few years now. My first question is actually some research I'm doing for someone else.

Quite simply: when NYC suspended elements of it's recycling program between 2002 and 2004, was commercial recycling still taking place (to whatever extent that it actually occurs, that is)? I believe the suspension only covered residential, but I don't remember if it indirectly affected businesses as businesses must pay for private carting.

I can't find anything definitive and 311 was not helpful. Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Amelia