[greenyes] Alert 403: Minner administration still protecting DuPont's Dioxin Pile--calls needed

Green Delaware Alert #403
(please post/forward)

Governor of Delaware still protecting DuPont "Dioxin Pile"

DuPont refuses to answer questions but Hearing Officer Robert Haynes refuses to keep the record open.

Calls to Governor Minner needed TODAY:
1.800.292.9570

April 6, 2005 The story of the DuPont Edge Moor plant and it's "waste pile from Hell" is one of the most extreme example of negligence by Delaware environmental officials Green Delaware has seen.

The Minner administration want to let this 540 thousand ton toxic waste pile stay forever on the banks of the Delaware River in order to save DuPont money.

DNREC officials claim that dioxin in the pile is not a concern at all, although the Edge Moor plant is by far the largest dioxin source in the entire US and DuPont admits the pile contains over 300 pounds of dioxin, the most harmful organic substance known.

DNREC officials aren't concerned about radioactivity either, although DuPont has admitted, in response to questions from Green Delaware, that the pile contains over 100 thousand pounds of radioactive uranium and thorium.

At hearings early in March, Green Delaware asked DuPont if other radioactive materials were in the pile. DuPont admitted that many other radioactives are in the pile, and that the pile will be radioactive for "billions of years."

We asked for a complete inventory of radioactive materials in the pile. We want to know the amounts of each radioactive substance in the pile, how radioactive it is, and how long the radioactivity will last (the "half life"). How can the dangers posed by the pile be evaluated without this basic information?

At this point DNREC Hearing Officer Robert Haynes began shouting, possibly to create a disruption to protect DuPont. But we stood firm and insisted on a written response.

Per usual, DuPont never responded. We called Haynes on April 5, 2005, to see if DuPont had sent a response to DNREC. They had not. We asked Haynes to keep the "record"?scheduled to close on April 8, 2005--open until DuPont has provided an adequate response and the public has had an opportunity to respond. We also pointed out that we had never been notified that hearing transcripts were available, and requested them.

Haynes responded in an emailed letter dated April 6, 2005. Attached was a letter from DuPont dated April 5, 2005, addressed to Haynes (not copied to anyone else). The letter contains a general discussion of radioactivity but NO SPECIFIC INFO AT ALL about the Dioxin Pile.

Nevertheless, Haynes wrote: "I consider this a satisfactory response to your request ...keeping the public record open even longer is not justified at this time."

Obviously, we have more of the collusion and bad faith that has pervaded this matter.

DuPont's Dioxin Pile has been represented by "Governor" Mike Parkowski, big Minner supporter and Chair of the Judicial Nominating Commission and the Delaware River and Bay Authority.

ACTION:

Please contact Governor Minner (DNREC Secretary Hughes is out sick) and ask that THE PUBLIC RECORD BE KEPT OPEN UNTIL:

o DUPONT HAS GIVEN A SATISFACTORY RESPONSE TO ALL QUESTIONS;
o THE PUBLIC HAS HAD A CHANCE TO RESPOND TO DUPONT; AND
o THE PUBLIC HAS HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO REVIEW THE TRANSCRIPT.

These requests are just basic fairness and should be happening automatically. Dozens of citizens gave up several evenings to participate in these hearings....Green Delaware and many others are already trying to do the work DNREC should have done in the first place and we continue to encounter obstruction and bad faith.

Governor Minner: 1.800.292.9570, leeann.walling@no.address

Robert Haynes can be contacted at 1.302.739.4403, Robert.Haynes@no.address

PLEASE MAKE THESE CALLS TODAY IF POSSIBLE--THE RECORD IS SCHEDULED TO CLOSE TOMORROW

Green Delaware is a community based organization working on environment and public health issues. We try to provide information you can use. Please use it. Do you want to continue receiving information from Green Delaware? Please consider contributing or volunteering. Reach us at 302.834.3466, greendel@no.address, www.greendel.org, Box 69, Port Penn, DE, USA, 19731-0069