Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:47:39 -0400
To: "GreenYes" <greenyes@no.address>
From: "James Wood" <jwood@no.address>
Subject: Curbside recycling quantities and set-out rates

Dear Fellow GreenYes folk,

I am writing in search of information regarding curbside recycling
quantities and set-out rates.

One of the four rural MD Counties our regional program serves is working
on
a study to consider expanding County services to include curbside trash,
and
possibly curbside recycling, collection.

For purposes of the study, weekly dual stream (containers & fiber)
recycling
collection is assumed. Currently the container type is assumed to be
18
gallon bins for containers & bundles for fiber.

As part of the study we are interested in reasonable assumptions for
several
parameters:

a.. Quantity (lbs) per household
b.. Set-out Rate (%)
At your earliest convenience, we are most interested in any readily
available, real-world data you may have regarding quantity per household
and
set-out rate.

In addition, I welcome any insight regarding curbside recycling
collection
considerations, in general. Since the county would essentially be
starting
from scratch as far as curbside recycling, collection methods, frequency
&
container types are all available for consideration.

Currently for recycling, residents have access to 16 recycling drop-off
stations (using 7 color-coded igloo-shaped receptacles for Mixed Metal
Cans,
ONP, Mags & mixed paper, Plastic 1& 2 bottles, & 3 colors of glass ...
Cardboard, oil, antifreeze, scrap metal & textiles also are accepted at
5
transfer stations) and curbside recycling service available in two small

towns, and by subscription, with a non-profit recycler. A neighboring
county, and partner in our regional recycling program, provides curbsort

collection by county forces.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

James Wood