Re: Fw: [greenyes] Relationship of Global Warming to Recycling
Before I forget, in an earlier post on this thread I used the Teragram unit.  One Teragram equals 1,000 Gigagrams by the way.  Also to be cleared up...N2O has 300 times the global warming potential that carbon dioxide does.  In terms of waste activities (landfilling, wastewater treatment, human sewage) N2O is associated with human sewage.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has estimated that slightly more than half of the current methane flux to the atmosphere is anthropogenic (human activity based or the result of natural processes that have been affected by human activity).  Agriculture, fossil fuel use, and waste disposal are but a few anthropogenic sources.

Without getting into the level of detail Peter is suggesting here is how the EPA breaks down the relative contributions of greenhouse gas emission by gas to US GHG emissions in 2002.

HFC, PFCs, SF6 - 2.0%
N2O (Nitrous oxide) - 6.0%
CH4 (Methane) - 8.6%
CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) - 83.4%

Source - EPA, 2004. Inventory of US Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks 1990 - 2002 (reports the latest information available)

Since 1990, methane emissions have steadily declined.  Methane emissions result primarily from decomposition of wastes in landfills, natural gas systems (leaks/fugitive emissions), and enteric fermentation (primarily cattle belching) but also in progressively lesser amounts from coal mining, manure management, waste water treatment, petroleum systems, rice cultivation, stationary sources, mobile sources, abandoned coal mines, petrochemical production, iron and steel production, agricultural residue burning, and silicon carbide production!

Of the methane emission sources 32 percent of total CH4 emissions in 2002 came from landfills (after landfill gas recovery and combustion), the rest from the other sources in progressively lesser amounts.  That's 32 percent of 8.6 percent.  Since 1990, net methane emissions from U.S. landfills have decreased by 8 percent.  Projections are that as more landfill gas (LFG) recovery and combustion projects come on-line along with improved recovery technology landfill methane collection will increase.

It should also be mentioned that reviewers who commented on the draft of the first edition of Solid Waste Management and Greenhouse Gases: A Life-Cycle Assessment of Emissions and Sinks (EPA, 2002) and sources in the literature have reported estimates from 60 to 95 percent for LFG collection system efficiency.

Interested parties might want to consider reading through the following references.

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/non-hw/muncpl/ghg/greengas.pdf
http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/UniqueKeyLookup/RAMR5WNMGY/$File/04_complete_report.pdf

I know this thread has focused on methane and landfilling primarily but there's something else that deserves mention, maybe even a lot more than that.
I'm going to throw a real curve ball  - Anaerobic landfills also store carbon!  Yes!  They do!  Carbon is in practically everything we throw away!  Think of the potential implications!  Uh! Oh!  At some point in the emission - sink equation it may just make sense to throw stuff away!  Hmmm.  Cut down older trees (don't sequester carbon nearly as rapidly as younger trees), make furniture, use it for a bit, then throw it away in an oxygen starved coffin of a landfill.  Uh!  Oh!  Now, I'm sure to have stirred up a hornet's nest.  Better start another thread, aye!

Best Regards,

Stephan

Peter Anderson wrote:
I don't think that this level of detail is what the list serve is thinking
of plowing through when it comes to work in the morning, but, since,
Stephen's question has been posted and led to other questions, here is the
answer I gave him.

To make life manageable for everyone, let me suggest that those who want to
get into the details let me know and we can form a smaller off-list working
group to plow through this, because in one thing Stephen is absolutely
right, everyone should stand ready to substantiate their factual assertions
when asked to do so.  After we work through all this, we can report back to
the listserve what our final conclusions are a brief summation.

    Peter