[greenyes] Barrier Liners/Sealers in Steel or Aluminum Cans and Caps

All,

Can anyone speak to the issue of plastic barriers and seals in cans and bottle caps? Do some cans contain these? If so, what types of cans - both aluminum and steel? In what specific market items are these barriers used? I'm thinking I've seen them in some catfood cans and I know they're in beer bottle caps as a sealer. Are there enough of these cans/caps out there being generated (and collected) to be considered an item preferred NOT to be collected in residential recycling programs.?

Also, what is the contamination percentage that aluminum and steel can buyers are willing to accept?

Stephan

--
Stephan Pollard
Environmental Dynamics Doctoral Program