Re: [greenyes] fluorescent lamp recycling in commercial buildings

Jan, and to others on the list:

Has there been any work to evaluate the amount of mercury that is going into landfills and incinerators (and then the air) from fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent bulbs?

Now that the retail price of compact fluorescents has fallen so dramatically, the price barriers to using them (and obtaining the energy efficiency gains) seem to be gone. Attention should once again shift back to ensuring their disposal doesn't cause environmental harm.

Has anybody evaluated the use of deposit/refund systems for these? What were the findings?

Thanks,

Doug Koplow

_______________________________
Doug Koplow
Earth Track, Inc.
2067 Massachusetts Avenue - 4th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02140
www.earthtrack.net
Tel: 617/661-4700
Fax: 617/354-0463

CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto, is for the designated recipient
only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private
information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.