Re: [greenyes] Fwd: [USCC] Biomass energy priorities ...

Gary:
I would have to argue that using sewage sludge's ('biosolids') for energy
generation may in fact result in a faster rate of overall uptake of the
available persistent toxins into the animal kingdom of our planet since
incineration of sludge results in direct emissions of the toxins into the air
whereby it may more directly be taken into the food chain via plant surface
adsorption or via the respiratory systems of humans and other species of
wildlife that breath. Recall that the WTE industry like all industry is not
required to have zero HAPs emissions but instead are permitted to emit HAPS to
the level that there is currently Most achievable Control Technology, which for
all practical purposes is in the realm of tons of toxics per year.

On the other hand composting does not result in the same magnitude of toxic
emissions out into the air since the temperature of composting is much lower
(however mercury may volatilize at composting temperatures) The uptake of many
of the inorganic toxics via soil to plant routes could be argued to be much
slower and and less intrusive compared to the pathways described in air.

But I have to say that such a discussion is tunnel vision because its addressing
the issues in a convoluted manner. The real issue is how to bring forward
technologies that will allow human feici sledge to be a compostable resource
whereby toxic metals, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and possible pathogens are
avoided through pollution prevention methodologies and by rethinking the
paradigms we currently use for our infrastructure to transport these human
wastes (ie mixed stream with industrial effluents)

I've not even touched on the pathways of transit of the toxins from the
incinerator ash or residual that is may in the US be put to so called benificial
use as road base near waterways.

Antoinette "Toni" Stein, PhD
800 Magnolia Street
Menlo Park, CA 94025