[greenyes] [USCC] Energy from organic "waste" via composting

With all the discussion of burning solid waste, this note reminds us that there is heat produced in composting that could also be productively used. I know of projects in MN where they used the heat of composting for heating greenhouses - which sounds like a good application.

Gary

From: "John A. Crockett" <jac@no.address>
To: "US Composting Council discussion List" <Compost@no.address>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:21:32 -0400
Subject: [USCC] Energy from organic "waste",

I agree that methane from anaerobic digesters is a nice option,
though digesters, and the scrubbers to clean the methane are major capital
investments.

Last night I turned the compost in two of my compost research silos.... and
within 4 hours... the compost was up at 158°F, and raising, with forced
aeration at a rate of 7.36cfm per cubic yard of compost; and the vacuum
pulling the air through the compost was 0.068"wc. I've set up to be able to
heat my house with the surplus microbial metabolic heat from my compost
research silos (I have a patent pending on the process for capturing the
heat from aerobic compost). I realize that we may manage our compost more
aggressively than most composters.

We use computerized temperature monitoring on our compost research silos
(modified HDPE 55 gal barrels), forced aeration, negative pressure, in
up-draft mode most of the time, and we send the off-gas through our dynamic
bio-filters to scrub all the foul odors. We maintain CO2 < 2%.

In the very near future we expect to assay the active bacteria when we
duplicate these conditions. We're curious to see how many active bacteria
we have under these conditions. Back in July we assayed 5.48 billion
active bacteria, per gram dry weight... and think we'll find a lot more.
In the early stage of the composting process, active bacteria are our
criteria for how well we're managing the composting process.

There is a lot of heat potential... for those who choose to manage compost
well. We can save millions of gallons of oil when we capture this heat and
use it wisely.

Working Together to Create a Sustainable Environment,
John A. Crockett, C.E.O.
a,k.a. Dr. Mike Robe
Mother Nature's Farms, Inc.
1 (845) 225-7763
www.magicsoil.com
jac@no.address

Compost maillist - Compost@no.address

This list is a service provided by the US Composting Council.

This month's sponsor of the list is:
Cover-All Building Systems -
Cover-All. buildings are the leading steel-framed, tension-membrane buildings that are quick to install and offer multiple foundation options to meet all composting building needs. Each building is constructed with quality corrosion-resistant steel components and Cover-All's DuraWeave. fabric membrane cover will never rust, even under the harshest conditions. Contact 1-800-268-3768 or www.coverall.net

Food Industry Environmental Network (FIEN), a regulatory and policy e-mail alert service for environmental, food and agricultural industry professionals.
Contact Jack Cooper 301/384-8287 JLC@no.address --- www.fien.com

Renewable Carbon Management, LLC with the containerized, in-vessel NaturTech Composting System www.composter.com rcm@no.address

(c) Copyright 2004 United States Composting Council - All rights reserved
Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the USCC, the Foundation or Board of Directors.