Re: [greenyes] use of glass crushers to create products from 'waste' glass
blair, please find below a copy of an earlier e-mail stream about the potential uses of crushed class that i archived.

additionally, the city of fayetteville (arkansas) has also been investigating this use, to the point of receiving a grant from the arkansas department of environmental quality towards the purchase of a class crusher that can produce four grades of material (from sand to cullet) from mixed-color bottle glass.  for more information about fayetteville's program, you can contact:

city of fayetteville recycling coordinator, brian pugh - bpugh@no.address
city of fayetteville mayor, dan coody - dcoody@no.address
arkansas department of environmental quality recyling director, robert hunter - hunter@no.address

good luck!
:}
melissa terry

 King County, WA project, using WSDOT specs
 http://www.metrokc.gov/procure/green/glass.htm#10
 WSDOT spec link to Standard specs (Year 2000):
 http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/fasc/EngineeringPublications/Manuals/SS2000English.pdf

 Look for:
 9-03.21 Recycled Material
 9-03.21(1) Reclaimed Glass (Mixed Waste Cullet) Additive to Aggregates
 9-03.21(2) Recycled Glass Aggregate

 Or here it is:
 2000 Standard Specifications - English Page 9-31
 9-03.21 Recycled Material
 9-03.21(1) Reclaimed Glass (Mixed Waste Cullet) Additive to Aggregates
 Reclaimed glass may be blended with the following:
 Ballast 9-03.9(1)
 Shoulder Ballast 9-03.9(2)
 Crushed Surfacing Base Course 9-03.9(3)
 Aggregate for Gravel Base 9-03.10
 Gravel Backfill for Foundations, Class A 9-03.12(1)A
 Gravel Backfill for Foundations, Class B 9-03.12(1)B
 Gravel Backfill for Walls 9-03.12(2)
 Gravel Backfill for Pipe Zone Bedding 9-03.12(3)
 Gravel Backfill for Drains 9-03.12(4)
 Backfill for Sand Drains 9-03.13
 Sand Drainage Blanket 9-03.13(1)
 Borrow 9-03.14
 Bedding Material for Rigid Pipe 9-03.15
 Bedding Material for Thermoplastic Pipe 9-03.16
 Foundation Material Class A and B 9-03.17
 Foundation Material Class C 9-03.18
 Bank Run Gravel for Trench Backfill 9-03.19

 Aggregates containing reclaimed glass shall conform to the requirements of
 these Specifications for each item listed above. No aggregate shall contain
 more than 15 percent glass. No more than 10 percent of the material retained
 on an individual sieve 1?4-inch or larger shall be glass, based upon visual
 examination and weight.

 9-03.21(2) Recycled Glass Aggregate
 Aggregate composed solely of glass may be used as gravel backfill for walls,
 pipe bedding, and sand drains; sand drainage blanket; gravel borrow; and
 bedding material for flexible pipe.

 One hundred percent of the glass shall pass a 3?4-inch square sieve and not
 more than 5 percent by weight shall pass a U.S. No. 200 sieve. Sieve
 analysis shall be conducted according to AASHTO T 27 on at least a quarterly
 basis by the product supplier. All test results shall be kept on file by the
 product supplier.

 The maximum debris level shall be 10 percent. Debris is defined as any
 deleterious material which impacts the performance of the engineered fill
 and includes all non-glass constituents of the glass feed stock. The
 percentage of debris in cullet shall be quantified using the following
 visual method. Approximately 200 grams of processed cullet shall be
 placed in a flat pan or plate. The percentage of debris shall be estimated
 using AGI Data Sheets 15.1 and 15.2 "Comparison Charts for Estimating
 Percentage Composition," by the American Geological Institute, 1982.
 Total lead content testing shall be performed quarterly by the product
 supplier. Tests shall include a minimum of 5 samples. Sample collection
 shall be conducted according to ASTM D 75. The mean of these tests shall not
 exceed 80 ppm. Total lead content testing will be conducted according to the
 EPA Method 3010/6010. All test results shall be kept on file by the product
 supplier.

 Eric Nelson (206/263-4278)
 Karen Hamilton (206/263-4279)
 Environmental Purchasing Program
 King County Procurement & Contract Services
 821 Second Avenue, Suite 10
 MS: EXC-FI-0862
 Seattle, WA 98104
 http://www.metrokc.gov/procure/green

Blair Pollock <bpollock@no.address> wrote:
Our Solid Waste Department is commited to glass recycling and would like to know of how glass crushers are being used out there now, especially by public entitites. cullet, gravel sub, ADC, other..................

We are located thirty miles from a glass beneficiator and we send them very high quality source separated, post consumer cullet. Nonetheless, we now pay $12/ton to dispose green/blue bottle glass there. Thus we are considering crushing that along w/ off spec (overly contaminnated material we collect from bars, apts, dropoff sites) and industrial glass such as plate or lab glass. We intend to consider making primarily alt. daily cover but also looking at other alts e.g.
septic filter media,
decorative material (need more info on how to do the tumbling) etc.
Our understanding is that it is very difficult to use crushed glass directly as a road paving material, e,g. gravel subsitute. Any advice on would also be appreciated. Finally, someone on this list posted a list biblio or other list of alt. markets for glass Could that reference be made again. Thanks.

Blair Pollock
Solid Waste Programs Manager
(919) 968-2788
fax: (919) 932-2900