Re: [greenyes] Cyber Resources Re Waste Policies and Climate Change
I appreciate Peter's comments about how political factors can influence the
analysis of scientific data.  Since I am aware of this issue with respect to
the USEPA data I took two approaches with respect to the development of this
column:

1. I made sure, where possible,  that the Web links I provided in the column
pointed to source documentation so that those who have the patience and
knowledge can, as Peter suggests, look at the source data and make
appropriate adjustments.

2. I also provided links to sources of data on the relationship between
climate change and waste management that were developed outside of the
USEPA - specifically Environment Canada and the European Union.  The Env.
Canada report on this topic does not appear to be online but I could find a
reference on how it can be ordered.  The EU report is available online and I
recommend that anyone who has an interest in this topic to download and read
it.  I am not an expert on this topic but it appears that they take a much
harder look at the issue of landfilling and GHG's by examining the data with
carbon sequestration effects included and then excluded.  Not unexpectantly,
with respect to the latter scenario, landfilling does not come out looking
too good.

These links will be posted soon on the Resource Recycling website at:

 http://www.resource-recycling.com/links.html

Roger M. Guttentag
610-584-8836
rgutten@no.address