From: michelle smith [mailto:pcrecycles@no.address]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 4:24 PM
To: green yes listserv; RECYC-L College and University Recycling Coordinator
List
Subject: [greenyes] thoughts/questions on residence hall recycling

hello everyone-- I was in many of the residence halls on campus today,
setting up donation boxes for student move-out.  I decided to check up on
the trash/ recycling rooms, and while the recycling totes were generally
full and being used, there was still a significant number of cans and
bottles in the trash.   So I started thinking of how the trash and recycling
is set up in the student's rooms, particularly the on-campus apartments.
All they have are trash barrels; they are supposed to seperate the
recyclables out themselves, using a plastic bag, etc.  But it seems that
many are not doing this. So I am wondering if it is worth the investment to
buy seperate recycling containers/bags for the student's rooms.  And I'm
thinking of just focusing on the apartment buildings right now, where they
generate much more trash.  Does anyone else do this?  Has it improved
recycling in the residence halls?  Do you find that if students are able to
seperate items right in their apartment, they'll be more inclined to recycle
and not toss half full jars of tomato sauce in the trash?!? Or would
intensive education in these buildings work better? Any thoughts you would
like to share will be appreciated. Take care,Michelle

Michelle Smith
Recycling Progam
Office of Environmental Health and Safety
Providence College
Providence, RI  02918

(401) 865-1881