[greenyes] FW: Bottle Bill Refund Increase Passes Senate Committee
TO:  GreenYes
FR:  Pat Franklin

Both Lance King and I sent out notices this morning about the bill proposing
an increase to the Bottle Bill Refund (crv) in California.  (see message
below)  But we both failed to mention that the bill now goes to the Senate
Appropriations Committee.

For more information click http://www.cawrecycles.org/Beverage
Containers/CRV/CRV front.html

Bottle Bill Refund Increase Passes Senate Committee

Legislation to increase the recycling refund value on beverage containers to
a nickel passed out of the Senate Natural Resources and Wildlife Committee
today on a 5 to 3 vote.

Senate Bill 23 (Sher) would, among other things, increase the refund value
from 2.5 cents to 5 cents (10 cents on containers 24 oz and larger).

A new University of California study projects that doubling the refund value
will boost recycling rates from the current 60% to 82%.  In addition to
reducing litter, pollution and conserving energy, the increased recycling is
projected to divert more than 330,000 tons of materials from landfill at an
avoided disposal cost savings of roughly $46 million.

Patricia Franklin
Executive Director
Container Recycling Institute
1911 N. Fort Myer Drive, Ste. 702