[greenyes] Single Stream
Hello All -

Kudos to Peter for taking the bull by the horns. This issue has plagued me
for a while - having been in with the paper people in my last job. At first,
I thought the paper companies were just blowing smoke.  However, after
looking at some of the research and the anecdotal evidence - I have to say
I'm NOT convinced that single stream is the way to go!!

I think I've spoken out on this before, so I thought I should do so again to
help support Peter!

The residual rates in these programs are UNACCEPTABLE to me as an advocate
for recycling and a joke to me as an everyday citizen.  It's no wonder why
Michael Moore and others don't recycle - why should they if a 1/4 of what
they put into their bin is thrown out?  The public perception issues alone
make me unable to support single stream collection.

Single stream collection also seems to want to make recyclable commodities
look like trash.  Which is what we've been trying to fight against all these
years - isn't it?

Yes, this collection method apparently works in some cases - but evidence
indicates that it doesn't work well enough for me to say let's go for it!!
I have no doubt that emerging sorting technologies will make it a better
process overtime, but for now I'm not jumping on that bandwagon.

As for glass - I think it's a big problem - but do I want to see plastic get
a leg-up when their recycling rates are dismal at best?  I'm thinking there
has to be a better way to deal with the glass issue.

Just my two cents...

Christine McCoy