Re: [GreenYes] Environmental protection/economic development
John and anyone concerned with recycling and economic development,

There are two sides of the recycling equation. Inevitably people seem mostly to talk about the residential/consumer side. If you look at the workplace/commercial side, though, you'll not only find the bulk of America's waste being recovered, but you'll also find amazing success stories. Businesses that reduce costs through efficiency gains in waste management reduce operating costs, which means a better bottom line and money that stays in the local economy (potentially).

In the last month alone we've identified nearly half a million dollars/year in savings to Philadelphia-area businesses through the waste audits we perform for them. These aren't documented yet for public consumption, but you can go to our web site (www.gpcrc.com) for general information. Specifically, if you go to http://www.greenworks.tv/gpcrc/success.asp you'll find success stories directly addressing savings and economic development.

Obviously, the Institute for Local Self-Reliance has a lot to offer by way of your information request. Also, a great set of other success stories can be found at the Calif. Integrated Waste Management Board. Check out their Case Studies page in particular.

www.ciwmb.ca.gov/BizWaste/FactSheets

Let me know if this helps.

David Biddle, Executive Director
Greater Philadelphia Commercial Recycling Council
7366 Rural Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19119
215-247-3090 (Main number)
215-247-2974 (FAX)