From: owner-greenyes@grrn.org [mailto:owner-greenyes@grrn.org]On Behalf Of Steen, Terri - Contractor
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 2:40 PM
To: 'Reindl, John'; 'eric@ecocycle.org'; 'Justin Stockdale'; 'Helen Spiegelman'
Cc: 'GreenYes'
Subject: RE: [GreenYes] Waste generation rates

I think that might be the trick – the report also says:  Of all solid waste received at VA facilities, 66.77% was MSW, 16.54% was C/D/D waste, and the remainder was other types of waste.

So, if Virginia is counting 66% of it’s waste as “municipal”, then perhaps it is defined differently than Wisconsin’s is. Or New Mexico.  Or Colorado.  Or….

Here’s the site for the full report if anyone’s interested:  http://www.deq.state.va.us/waste/waste.html

John, does the trash-generating public in Wisconsin know that statistic?  It seems to me they might get discouraged if their best recycling efforts would only affect 20% of the problem.  Or, are you focusing your reduction efforts on the other 80%?

Terri