Re: [GreenYes] metal, glass plastic compaction
Why don't they try collecting only plastic and aluminum -- commingling them
in bags that can be easily pulled out for recovery?

NO need to collect glass technically -- but I know haulers charge by the
weight  too bad!!

Cheers
Michele

At 09:17 PM 3/16/02 -0500, Marjorie J. Clarke wrote:
>With all the angst about Mayor Bloomberg's drive to do away with half our
>recycling program in NYC, I've been trying to help those of us assembling
>economic arguments for how to save money IMMEDIATELY and in the longer
>term by recycling vs. exporting.  There are even those who are arguing to
>reopen Fresh Kills, not for residues, but for burying 90% of our discards.
>
>This morning I witnessed the blue bags of metal, glass and plastic being
>hurled into the packer truck, this time along with a large metal cabinet
>(our program takes bulk metal as well).  As I watched the life being
>squeezed out of that cabinet, I heard all the glass breaking.  The degree
>of compaction is severe; it's so bad that the bags break and you can see
>smashed metal cans.
>
>Does anyone have a model program out there where glass, metal and plastic
>are collected in one truck, but not compacted, and where the glass is
>saleable and sold, and what the details of the glass markets are?  What is
>the size of the truck (dimensions) and tonnage that can be collected in
>such a truck?  The dimensions are important because our streets are narrow
>and full of cars.  What is spent per person per year on education to
>achieve what sort of participation and contamination rates?  Please let me
>know.
>
>Maggie Clarke, Ph.D.
>Environmental Scientist and Educator
>http://everest.hunter.cuny.edu/~mclarke/index.htm
>New York City ******************************************
>To post to the greenyes list,
>email to: greenyes@grrn.org
>
>Subscription information for
>this list is available here:
>http://www.grrn.org/general/greenyes.html

Michele Raymond
Publisher
Recycling Laws International/ State Recycling Laws Update
5111 Berwyn Rd. Ste 115 College Park, MD 20740)
301/345-4237   Fax 345-4768
http://www.raymond.com