[GreenYes] Recycling lids vs containers

Hi folks --

A quick question:

I live in Portland, Oregon.  Our local recycler doesn't recycle plastic lids
to containers.  Actually, the recycler specified that it only recycles
plastic bottles with a NECK. If we go to a local collection station
(non-metro site) we can recycle a wider range of containers (no "neck"
requirement, just limited by the plastic #), but still no lids can be
recycled.

So, if I have a # 2 bottle with a neck, it is recyclable in the metro
program, but a #2 lid (made of the same type of plastic right?) is not.
Alternatively if I have a #2 no-neck container, it is recyclable at local
collection sites, but the #2 lid is no.

I understand some plastics are not cost effective, but shape seems to
dictate something and I don't understand why.

Can anyone offer some insight or explanation on this?

Indigo Teiwes-Cain
Research Analyst
Portfolio 21
721 NW Ninth Ave Ste 250
Portland, OR 97209
ph: 503.224.7828, x19
fax: 503.224.5633
indigo@portfolio21.com <mailto:indigo@portfolio21.com>

Please visit our mutual fund for environmental sustainability:
<http://www.portfolio21.com>