for #1 and #2 blow-molded plastics. that means that
all those injection molded #2's like yogurt,
cottage-cheese and cool whip containers are not
recyclable for our residents. you can only imagine how
tricky this is to explain to our community --
recycling education should not require a degree in
chemical engineering!

so, even though the blow-molded and injection-molded
#2's start with the same hdpe resin stock, their
different manufacturing processes make them unsuitable
for co-mingled collection.

and, i have residents call me all the time fired up
because our recycling route workers left their
styrofoam whichit in their recycling bin -- after all,
it has those three arrows on the bottom of the
container.

i think this question has hit a sore point with
recyclers and i would personally support a national
campaign to lean on the plastics industry to clarify
thier coding system.

just another 2 cents worth!

sincerely,
melissa terry