[GreenYes] Fwd: California e-waste baseline study
This is a new report by the Calif. Integrated Waste Management Board California which has some interesting findings about the amount of e-waste currently stockpiled, cost estimates, and the recycling shortfall in the state.  It was just sent around by Michael Paparian, a member of the Waste Board who was the former Sierra Club lobbyist in Calaifornia.

Ted Smith
-------------------------------------
From: "Paparian, Michael" <Paparian@CIWMB.ca.gov>

Subject: California e-waste baseline study
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:24:49 -0800
Our Calif. Integrated Waste Management Board California e-waste baseline study will be released publicly on Wednesday, Dec. 12.  To review the report:

http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Publications/default.asp?pubid=933
The study, conducted for the Waste Board by MGT of America, was designed to provide current data on selected E-waste volume, diversion cost estimates, and processing capacity for the year 2006.  The study revealed that approximately 2.9 million TVs (74,000 tons) and 3.2 million computer monitors (48,000 tons) are stockpiled in California households.  The Board is the state s primary recycling agency and a part of the California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal/EPA).
To view the power-point presentation summarizing the report:  http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/agendas/mtgdocs/2001/12/00006964.ppt

I hope this adds some interesting background to our NEPSI process.
Mike Paparian
Michael Paparian
California Integrated Waste Management Board
1001 I Street; P. O Box 4025
Sacramento, CA 95812
Phone: 916-341-6035
Fax: 916-314-7359
e-mail: Paparian@ciwmb.ca.gov
The energy challenge facing California is real. Every Californian needs to take immediate action to reduce energy consumption. For a list of simple ways you can reduce demand and cut your energy costs, see our Web-site at http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/.

Ted Smith
Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition/Campaign for Responsible Technology
760 N. First Street,San Jose, CA 95112
408-287-6707-phone;  408-287-6771-fax
http://www.svtc.org/svtc/
Food for thought:  How Gandhi Defined the Seven Deadly Sins
· Wealth without work; · Pleasure without conscience; · Knowledge without character;· Commerce without morality;
· Science without humanity;· Worship without sacrifice;· Politics without principle