[GreenYes] Several questions
1.  Does anyone have a 'definitive' answer to the optimium way to dispose of fruit and vegetable waste (presuming composting is NOT an option)

a. landfill food waste, especially fruit and vegetabe peelings,

or

b. or put it in the garbage dispos-all/sanitary sewer, when the sanitary sewer waste is first digested and the methane captured and then the watery biosolids are land applied to non-food crops?

2.    Amounts of vegetative and other food waste generated from large-scale grocery stores on some kind of normalized basis per square foot, per dollar of sales, etc. ?

3. What types of policies do governments have in hazardous household waste programs: when people show up unannounced w/ 55 gal drums of unidentified liquids or identified liquids and say something to the effect: "Grandaddy just died and we cleaned out the barn and brough you what we found because it's hazardous waste, we think."  Then it costs the HHW program $000s to dispose.  Specifically: are there policies specifically oriented at farmers as distinct from households or CESQGs and are there programs that might help them buy down the cost of disposal if the HHW program cannot bear the full cost of disposal and should an HHW program bear the full cost of this kind of disposal?

Thanks to all who have time and energy to reply to any or all of these queries.

Blair Pollock
Solid Waste Programs Manager
(919) 968-2788
fax: (919) 932-2900