[GreenYes] You think worms are weird? Then knit one for This Dirt Museum!
Knit a Worm for Fun and Fancy
by Mary Appelhof

Do you sometimes want to do something kind of silly, just for the fun
of it? Join hundreds of weird and wonderful worm enthusiasts by
knitting a worm to become part of "This Dirt Museum: The Ladies'
Room" art exhibit in Queens, New York. This unique exhibit of knitted
redworms by performance artist Naomi Dagen Bloom will commemorate
closing of Fresh Kills Landfill at the same time it celebrates the
wonder of how redworms in her kitchen turn garbage into black gold.
(http://www.cityworm.com/events.html)

Activists are often accused of preaching to the choir. Outreach
programs so often touch only those who already know about and believe
in the cause. Naomi breaks out of the mold. For example, an approach
she uses is to go with her knitting needles and red yarns to an
upscale restaurant in New York City.

"What, may I ask, are you knitting?" someone asks politely.

And Naomi replies, "That's just the question I wanted you to ask?"

When the stranger asks the obvious follow-up, "Why are you knitting a
worm?" Naomi replies,"To honor the redworms eating my garbage in my
kitchen."

And so on. . . to get people talking and thinking about how we deal
with our waste, about the closing of the Fresh Kills Landfill, about
how worms can help us take care of it unobtrusively, quietly,
efficiently, in our very own homes. . .

	Naomi doesn't pound you with such facts as this:

	Fresh Kills Landfill, located on Staten Island, New York, has
accepted over 2 billion tons of trash during it's 50 year existence.

	Fresh Kills is over 2200 acres in size, over 200 feet high
and one of  	two man-made structures which can be seen from outer
space.
  	The other is the Great Wall of China.

	Fresh Kills Landfill, on a wetlands, produces nearly 1
million gallons of leachate per day.

	Fresh Kills Landfill closed on March 23, 2001. New York City
now 	exports over 11,500 tons of trash per day to upstate New
York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

What Naomi does is, first of all,  take responsibility for her own
waste.  The worms in her kitchen worm bin turn her coffee grounds,
finely cut vegetables, crushed eggshells into damp, rich earth.  As
she says, "Kitchen composting is an incredibly satisfying pursuit;
its everydayness, ritual quality fills an enormous empty space for
those of us living in dense urban places who have wished to find a
direct way for caring for the earth. " (http://www.cityworm.com/)

Naomi travels with her redworms. Nestled in shredded newsprint
bedding in their little take-out container covered with colorful
bandana, Naomi shows them the Grand Canyon, and shows the Grand
Canyon to them (we assume they sense the majesty of the place, since
they have no eyes to see!) Or the Taj Mahal. Or Mexico. Or China.
Wherever she goes, she is ready for "the moment when the magic and
mystery of composting redworms can blur the distinction between
environmental education and art."
(http://www.cityworm.com/travel1.html)

Naomi collaborates with others to extend her range of exposure.  Joining her at
"This Dirt Museum" will be Mary Appelhof, author of Worms Eat My
Garbage, and the person most responsible for Naomi's venture into
wormhood through her educational books and videos.  Both Naomi Dagen
Bloom and Mary Appelhof will give presentations during opening day
events at "This Dirt Museum"  Saturday, October 6, 2001. Location is
in The Plant Shop at the Queens Botanical Garden, Flushing, New York.
The exhibit itself runs from Oct. 6-22, 2001, with special events on
each of the three weekends.  (http://www.wormwoman.com)

Naomi is collecting knitted worms from anyone who will send one to
her for "This Dirt Museum."  Few rules for these. . . some red, no
eyes, knit, crochet, felt and fiber art. Send a photo of yourself
with your worm if you can.  Be sure to include your name, address,
and country so you can be properly credited in "This Dirt  Museum"
exhibit! Send knitted worm(s)  postmarked by August 30, 2001 to:

            One Knit Worm
	The Compost Project
	Queens Botanical Garden
             43-50 Main Street
	Flushing, New York 11355

Learn more at: http://www.cityworm.com/knit.html

Flowerfield Enterprises/Flower Press  10332 Shaver Rd, Kalamazoo, MI 49024
616-327-0108  616-343-4505 FAX 616-327-7009 http://www.wormwoman.com
--
Mary Appelhof, Author of "Worms Eat My Garbage"
Flowerfield Enterprises