Re: [GreenYes] Plastic Beer Bottles
Dear Jeffery,

It was unclear to me what your official position is on plastic beer bottles.
As a member of the Berkeley Plastics Task Force, I am also in touch with
Berkeley Curbside Recycling Program. Yesterday, I heard from a member that
communicates with the City of Berkeley, that the recycling of plastics could
very well be halted because it may be too costly. A study is being done that
will probably support the EC position of not collecting plastics.

A bit of history. The Ecology Center (EC) in Berkeley, established as one of
the nation's first environmental organizations in 1969, began the recycling
program in Berkeley in 1973. It too was a first. The EC still operates it,
and had refused from the beginning to recycle plastic in any form.  Last
year, the city forced us to collect it. Now, it seems that the numbers used
to force the pickup of plastic may not be valid and they are reviewing the
order.

Besides being a misconception, plastics recycling is tied to an increase in
"virgin" plastics production. Please read the Report of the Berkeley
Plastics Task Force (1996).
http://www.mindfully.org/Berkeley/Berkeley-Plastics-Task-Force.htm

Also see the page http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/plastic.htm

Best regards,
Paul

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please."
Mark Twain, 1835-1910