[GreenYes]
Dear Greenyesers
I noticed a story from ENN on the San Francisco batteries proposal today. While it is laudable they are interested in using rechargeable batteries only, the story made it look like all batteries are toxic.  Alkaline batteries and all rechargeables except ni-cds and lead-acid batteries are not considered toxic.  Today only about 20% of rechargeables have heavy metals in them.

The recycling coordinators always complain on their forms to us that there is not enough public education and they have no budget to educate on recycling.  I have to say that the battery industry is spending nearly half of their recycling budget on public education. This seems to be ignored.
 However, I am not sure how they can really force consumers to take their batteries back -- do I want to remember to put my old ni-cd in my car next time I go to Radio Shack?

 The story I read on San Francisco was really one-sided and factually incorrect.

We just completed our update of our international battery report.  Please forward the information, as I get no subsidies from industry or government.

Battery Makers Battle over Cadmium
Updated Report Provides Regulatory Guidance for
Global Electronics Makers

uly, 2001; College Park, MD —The debate over nickel-cadmium (ni-cd) rechargeable batteries heats up again this year in Europe, as the European Commission again attempts to push its proposal to ban cadmium batteries by 2008 and require 75% recovery on all batteries, according to 2001 Edition of “Battery Recovery Laws Worldwide,” a report published this month from Raymond Communications, Inc.
        U.S. power tool makers are in Europe, arguing that it will be impossible to maintain a recycling infrastructure on a battery that is slated for extinction. Experts on both sides are proffering proof of whether the ni-cds can be effectively replaced by alternatives by 2008 – and there are rumors the Commission is leaning towards giving up the ban if they can impose deposits on batteries to ensure high recovery targets. No country has been able to recycle more than about half of its ni-cd’s in separate programs – and the cost can be high.
        Even though only ni-cds and lead acid batteries have toxic materials in them, five countries have recently expanded their mandatory battery recycling laws to include most other batteries, in part to avoid consumer confusion.  Today, 16 countries have mandatory recycling laws for rechargeable batteries, according to the report.
        Meanwhile in the U.S., rechargeable battery makers are putting about $9 million per year into a national collection program, and they were able to get back about 3.8 million pounds of rechargeable batteries in 2000. Nine states require recycling of ni-cd’s. While industry may not reach its 50% recycling goal by 2002, the national program has waged a successful public education campaign and succeeded at keeping new U.S. battery legislation at bay.
        “Battery Recovery Laws Worldwide” is the only publicly-available reference that summarizes rechargeable battery recycling legislation in the U.S. and 24 countries worldwide.
       For each country, the report details:
n       Which batteries are covered and how
n       What recovery is required
n       What markings and labels are required on the battery, the product and the package
n       Special requirements/bans
n       Summary of current takeback program
n       Battery fees or taxes
n       Contact information; phone numbers
        Readers can opt for an expanded version of the report (on CD) that  will include full texts of most international battery laws in English, including new texts from Japan, Taiwan,  France,  and other explanatory information.
        The report can be ordered from Raymond Communications, publisher of Recycling Laws International by calling 301-345-4237, or through the website at http://www.raymond.com
Contact:  Michele Raymond, publisher; 51111 Berwyn Rd. #115, College Park MD 20740.  Fax: 301-345-4768; michele@raymond.com

Michele Raymond
Publisher
Recycling Laws International/ State Recycling Laws Update
5111 Berwyn Rd. Ste 115 College Park, MD 20740)
301/345-4237   Fax 345-4768
http://www.raymond.com