Re: [GreenYes] energy (and other) savings through recycling
Source: Deborah Orrill, CIWMB <dorrill@ciwmb.ca.gov>

How can recycling conserve energy?

·        If you look at the big picture of what it takes to create a
product from scratch - to get the raw materials, transport them, process
them and manufacture them - making goods with recycled materials like
paper, plastic, glass and metal is a major energy saver.

·        A Seattle economist, Jeffrey Morris, has really looked at
this.  He estimates that manufacturing one (1) ton of office and computer
paper with recycled paper stock can save nearly 3,000 kilowatt hours over
the same ton of paper made with virgin wood products.

·        A ton of PET plastic containers made with recycled plastic
conserves about 7,200 kilowatt hours.

·        A ton of soda cans made with recycled aluminum saves an amazing
21,000 kilowatt hours by reducing the virgin bauxite (bo-zite) ore that
would have to be mined, shipped and refined.  That's a 95 percent energy
savings.

·        One recycled aluminum can saves enough electricity to run a
computer for three hours.

·        The San Diego County Office of Education has figured out that
recycling one glass bottle saves enough energy to light a 100-watt light
bulb for four (4) hours.

·        The Steel Recycling Institute has some impressive figures, too.
Steel is the number-one recycled material in the U.S. and each year, steel
recycling saves enough energy to electrically power the equivalent of 18
million homes for a year.  Sure makes you appreciate that can of peaches,
doesn't it?

How might recycling help create energy?

·        Recycling can help create energy by providing the raw materials we
need to generate electricity.

·        Some of the ways we can do that include converting methane gas
from landfills to energy, transforming old tires into electricity at
special plants, and using organic materials like wood chips and forestry
and agriculture waste to fuel biomass plants that, in turn, generate
electricity to power California homes and businesses.

·        The Waste Board is looking at all of these possibilities and
working closely with the Governor's Office to meet California's energy
needs on all fronts.