[GreenYes] Good Morning Vietnam!
For those of us "of a certain age" the current debate over the so-called
"energy crisis" has a "been there-heard that" quality that makes some of us
want to rush out and purchase a brand new Ford Pinto!  The only thing missing
is President Carter in a cardigan sweater on national television in front of
a fireplace talking about national malaise and extolling the virtues of
kicking down the thermostat to 55 degrees at night.

The similarities between "then" and "now" are striking.  Back in 1976 there
was a glitch in the heating oil supply in the northeast.  This "glitch" was
manufactured into a nationwide "energy crisis."  The next "crisis" in 1979
came about after the oil embargo cut off the 30% of imported oil we depended
on to operate our Chevrolet Caprices and Ford LTDs.  We were told then that
answers (my friends) were blowing in the wind: Conservation.  Wind Power.
Solar Power.   We started a national Energy Department--founded to work up an
energy policy for our future.

Today some 25 years later California is experiencing energy shortages. The
state's farsighted planning equates thus: Forbidding development of power
plants + a population tidalwave = energy shortage.  Gas prices are on the
rise.  We now import 55% of our oil because America has been declared
pristine.  How will we run our SUVs and light the 3,000 square foot homes
we've been throwing up during the last couple of decades?  Oh yes. There's
Wind Power.  Solar Power.  Conservation.  And lest we forget: the federal
Energy Department--getting bigger with each administration and still working
up an energy policy for our future.

Don't look for George W. to slip on a cardigan and extoll the virtues of
conservation.  Americans HATE that.  And sorry, it's cheaper to buy a natural
gas furnace than it is to install ugly solar panels up on the roof. This is
reality. People know that in 10 years their friendly Crane Carrier furnace
man will still be in business while those interested in solar power won't be
able to find parts (I know this from bitter personal experience).

Coal is making it possible...right now...for most of us to stare into our
computer screen.  After work, we'll fire up those big urban assault vehicles
and drive to our air conditioned homes and curse the greed that is George W.
and the big oil companies.  We'll ponder wind and solar and shake our fists
to those who keep us addicted and not much else.  And in the end, like we did
25 years ago, we'll find that gas bill for the big Ford Explorer too much to
take and trade down for a small Nissan.  Some of us will hook up solar panels
and pray the new start-up company we bought it from will be in business next
year.

Let's by all means look at conservation, wind power, and solar power.  Look
to the government if you want too but keep in mind that we have a 25 year old
Energy Department and still no energy policy.

Posted with no fear of censorship (yet)...I remain,

Stuck in the 70s!

John Waddell
Refuse News