[GreenYes] Fwd: Best Buy Looking for Electronics Recycling Partners
Best Buy Electronics Recycling Program

Best Buy is pleased to be the first electronics retailer to offer our
consumers recycling opportunities across the country. Our consumers deserve
easy and environmentally safe options for recycling unwanted electronic
products. Starting this Summer, Best Buy will begin periodic collections to
allow consumers to drop off their used electronic items for recycling.

This year more than 40 million televisions and computer monitors will
become obsolete in the U.S. Experts predict that by 2005, a potential 50
million computers and televisions will be thrown away annually. Not only is
this volume a cause for concern, electronic products contain hazardous
materials such as mercury, lead, cadmium and other substances. These toxic
materials are not a problem while they are contained in a working
television or computer, but they can be a problem if the products are
disposed of in a landfill or garbage
incinerator.

Working together, Best Buy, our consumers, manufacturers and governments
can make sure old computer monitors, televisions and other electronic
products are recycled to make new products rather than just tossed in the
garbage.

The Recycling Program

In April 2001, Best Buy announced a program for recycling of electronics in
selected markets across the country beginning in Summer 2001. Phase I of
the program will take place in the Summer and Fall of 2001. Under Phase I,
Best Buy plans to hold special recycling collection events in eight to ten
markets across the country. Best Buy expects to expand this service over
the next several years to ensure that consumers in every Best Buy community
will be close to a special electronics recycling event at least once a year.

•Recycling collections will be held periodically - at least once a year --
in selected communities.
•Recycling collections will be two-day events where consumers can bring any
electronic item.
•Consumers will be charged a fee for CRT-containing items and will be able
to drop off any electronic items - any brand or model -- for recycling at
these special events.
•Best Buy plans to form partnerships with manufacturers and governments to
ensure that the program offers the greatest service to consumers.

Best Buy is looking for partners

Best Buy is leading the way to find solutions to the ever-growing problem
of used electronics. We recognize that working together with partners will
ensure that consumers receive the greatest service possible. We envision
the recycling program making a true difference for our consumers and the
communities in which we do business.
April 30, 2001

Dear Electronics Recycler
As you know Best Buy Co., Inc. has announced plans to develop a nationwide
electronics-recycling program. Best Buy has contracted with e4 partners to
develop, plan, organize and hold the Phase I aspect of this program.
Best Buy will be holding between 8 Π10 collection events in selected
metropolitan areas between now and November.

While exact locations and dates have yet to be determined Best Buy is
committed to holding one event in Minnesota. e4 partners is soliciting
proposals from electronics recyclers who wish to participate in this
program, either on a national or regional level. It is Best Buy™s desire to
work with recyclers who are committed to the highest environmental
practices, have a clean regulatory bill-of-health and are experienced in
providing direct service to consumers. To be considered for participation
recyclers should provide at least the following information to e4 partners:

1. Demonstrated ability to provide turnkey collection and recycling
services Πfrom the parking lot to the recycling end-market.
2. Description of the geographic locations served directly or through
partnerships with other businesses.
3. Stated interest in being a national or regional service-provider.
4. All necessary regulatory permits from states in which you do business
and the ability to procure any additional permits if this work would
represent an expansion.
5. Ability to indemnify Best Buy.
6. Ability to keep and provide records detailing types and amounts of
material collected, materials recovered, types and amounts of products
re-used, material marketed for recycling and amounts of residuals disposed of.
7. List of materials recovered and a list of markets used for the same.
8. Percentage of material recovered from post-consumer electronics recovery.
9. List of materials discarded from post-consumer electronics recovery.
10. Ability to incorporate re-use into collection events.
11. Price and cost-structure for all aspects of service Πcollection,
transportation and processing.
12. References for regulatory issues in all states served, current clients
and local or state governments for whom collection services have been provided.
Information should be sent to:

Mr. Chris Cloutier
e4 partners, inc.
2801 21st Ave. S, #225
Minneapolis, MN 55407
or
chris@e4partners.com

Information must be received by May 21. Best Buy will make the decision
regarding selection. All information submitted will be held confidential
except for the name of the submitting organization - that information will
be shared with Best Buy™s OEM partners in this project.

Questions may be addressed to Chris Cloutier at 612.278.7140 or
chris@e4partners.com.

Sincerely,
Christopher J. Cloutier
Principal
www.e4partners.com
phone: 1-612-278-7140 facsimile: 1-612-278-7141
2801 21 st avenue south, suite 225,
minneapolis, minnesota 55407, usa

Gary Liss
916-652-7850